Updated 22 November 2023
Hello. I have been a web developer since 1997 and have 18 years of PHP experience. I work freelance.
If you are an individual, small business or agency needing some bespoke work then I may well be able to help you.
- Laravel – my favourite PHP framework, and Statamic - a wonderful content management system built on top of it.
- also: Drupal plenty of experience versions 7 to 10 (I did the Acquia Drupal Site Builder certification in 2017).
- WordPress site maintenance and plugin writing.
Generally now I only take on new work in Laravel / Statamic (I may be able to migrate your existing site)
Linux web servers:
installation and configuration, performance tuning, security, monitoring. Debian and Ubuntu specialist. I remotely manage servers for clients and can advise on configuration and data centre choice.
Other key skills:
LEMP, Nginx, Database Administration (MySQL and MariaDB), TLS/SSL/LetsEncrypt, DNS, IPv6 basics, audio, transactional email, photo editing, Memcached/Redis.
Familiar with various APIs including Facebook (Marketing API), Google Ads, Wikipedia,
Tools I like: Vim, macOS, PhpStorm, Git, Composer, Ansible, Laravel Valet, Sequel Ace, Linode, PostmarkApp, AWS, Adobe Lightroom, Multimarkdown, The Archive, Taskpaper, Toggl, Trello, OmniFocus.
Tools I don't like: Docker. Things I liked before: FuelPHP, PyroCMS, Codeigniter.
Past and present clients include:
- Organisations: Oxford University European Studies Centre: Free Speech Debate and Europe's Stories, Snape Maltings, Suffolk: Young Artist Programme applications (since 2019) and Friday Afternoons Music site, Generate Digital, Conserve Adisham's Rural Environment, International Interim Management, MCC, Lord's Cricket Ground (live audo streaming 2004-2017), Energydesk (Greenpeace journalism service), Trinity Mirror 'Ampp3d' (data journalism site).
- Individuals: Timothy Garton Ash, Alec Ash, Mark Pack, Martin Belam, Hils Barker, Alex Balfour, Nadia Kamil.
- Agencies: Code for the People (WordPress agency that were acquired by Automattic), Ascender Design (Chichester - WordPress and Laravel)
- Charity / "Other": Alternative Comedy Memorial Society, Kent and Canterbury Hospital League of Friends.
I care about:
fast, well-configured servers, pages that load quickly, efficient and clean database design, easy to use / simple to update websites that work well on mobile too, web standards and learning new skills, documenting code thoroughly for the benefit of whoever maintains it in future.
My hourly rate for new customers is £70 (or roughly £400 per day, given I measure and only charge for the actual time spent on your project). Estimates/quotes available for more structured projects. Feel free to ask about smaller jobs: the sooner you do, the greater likelihood I can fit them in.
Hosting is complex. Having full control of an inexpensive, high quality Linux server significantly speeds up development and allows me to use a number of best practices. I usually arrange hosting for my clients. This way I can precisely tune the performance of the website and the software running it, and your data will be secure and separated from other customers. I also organise backups and automated monitoring. Plus you have me as a single point of contact for faults so you do not need to deal with separate hosting companies or data centres. I configure web servers from scratch using automation, which saves time, and allows us to move hosting providers more easily if needed.
- Technical blog (2016-2023)
- How an IDE can help you (March 2015, 2,000 words)
- How we built Ampp3d (June 2014. 17,500 words)
Vous êtes un entreprise anglais et vous avez (ou besoin) un site web français? Je suis apprendre le français, puis-je vous aider?
Legal / Contractual things:
- I make white-label sites, I don't require/request named credit.
- I don't have any exit fees, other than unpaid charges or hosting.
- I'll sign your NDA, but tell me a little about your project first.
- Source code available for projects (typically a 'Git' repository), so you can hand the site and it's documented history to another developer.
- I do not charge VAT.
- Payment terms 7 days or by arrangement.
Please get in touch if you need any advice or would like to be added to my waiting list.