Updated 4 July 2020
Hello. I have been a web developer since 1997 and have 15 years of PHP experience. I work freelance.
If you are an individual, small business or agency needing some bespoke work then I may well be able to help you.
- I primarily work with the Drupal content management framework. (I'm an Acquia Certified Drupal 8 Site Builder).
- Laravel (up to the new version 6.x) – my preferred PHP framework for bespoke apps.
Linux web servers:
installation and configuration, performance tuning, security, monitoring. Debian and Ubuntu specialist. I remotely manage servers for clients and can advise on configuration and data centre choice.
Other key skills:
LEMP (Nginx, MySQL), TLS/SSL/LetsEncrypt, DNS, IPv6, audio, transactional email, Memcached/Redis, Facebook Marketing API. Dev environment: Git, Composer, Ansible, Linode, AWS, PhpStorm. Long ago: FuelPHP, PyroCMS, Codeigniter.
Past and present clients include:
- Organisations: Oxford University European Studies Centre: Free Speech Debate and Europe's Stories, Snape Maltings, Suffolk: Young Artist Programme applications and Friday Afternoons Music site, MCC, Lord's Cricket Ground: live streaming of selected audio commentary 2004-2017, Trinity Mirror 'Ampp3d' (data journalism site), Greenpeace Energydesk,
- Individuals: Alex Balfour, Martin Belam, Mark Pack, Timothy Garton Ash, Alec Ash, Hils Barker, Nadia Kamil.
- Agencies: Code for the People (WordPress agency that were acquired by Automattic), Ascender Design (Chichester - WordPress and Laravel)
- Charity / Other: Kent and Canterbury Hospital League of Friends, Alternative Comedy Memorial Society
I care about:
fast, well-configured servers, pages that load quickly, easy to use, simple to update websites that work equally well on mobile and desktop, web standards and learning new skills, documenting code thoroughly for the benefit of whoever maintains it in future.
My hourly rate for new customers is £55 (or roughly £300-350 per day, given I only ever charge for the actual time spent on your project). Estimates/quotes available for more structured projects. Feel free to ask about small jobs: the sooner you do, the greater likelihood I can fit them in.
Hosting is complex. Having full control of an inexpensive, high quality Linux server significantly speeds up development and allows me to use a number of best practices. I usually arrange hosting for my clients. This way I can precisely tune the performance of the website and the software running it, and your data will be secure and separated from other customers. I also organise backups and automated monitoring. Plus you have me as a single point of contact for faults so you do not need to deal with separate hosting companies or data centres. I configure web servers from scratch using automation, which saves time, and allows us to move hosting providers more easily if needed.
Vous êtes un entreprise anglais et vous avez (ou besoin) un site web français? Je suis apprendre le français, puis-je vous aider?
- Technical blog (2016-2020)
- How an IDE can help you (March 2015, 2,000 words)
- How we built Ampp3d (June 2014. 17,500 words)
Legal / Contractual things:
- I don't require/request a named credit on sites I build.
- I don't have any exit fees, other than unpaid charges or hosting.
- I'll sign your NDA, but tell me a little about your project first.
- I'm fully insured by withjack.co.uk
- Source code available for projects (typically a 'Git' repository), so you can hand the site and it's documented history to another developer.
- I do not charge VAT.
- Payment terms 7 days or by arrangement.
Please get in touch if you need any advice or would like to be added to my waiting list.